The Mercy Corps Northwest VISTA Program is currently recruiting organizations that are interested in hosting an AmeriCorps VISTA member for the service year of August 2019- August 2020. VISTA members build the capacity of organizations, delivering new innovations to end poverty in Oregon. We hope to recruit between seven and nine organizations for this cohort.
Our RFP is now open for proposals (attached). We anticipate closing our RFP on Monday, April 15th and recruiting VISTA members from mid-May through mid-July. However, organizations are encouraged to apply early, as we will accept sites and recruit members for accepted sites’ positions on a rolling basis. You will find all application materials and instructions attached. Organizations are strongly encouraged to contact me prior to submitting a full application to discuss the potential project and determine its suitability.
We’re able to support projects that are focused on Economic Opportunity including:
- Housing access & affordable housing, job skills training, microenterprise, IDA programs, financial literacy, and other community development initiatives.
Projects must meet the following criteria, at minimum:
- Must be focused exclusively on low-income populations
- Must be indirect service only (focused on capacity building rather than meeting immediate needs)
- Must develop or expand programs or initiatives
Organizations must, at minimum:
- Hold 501(c)(3) status, or be a tribal or governmental entity, or be a non-profit educational institution.
- Provide office space and supplies, supervision, and staff support for the member.
- Assign a dedicated supervisor able to provide at least five hours of mentorship and guidance to the member per week. Organizations must have staff capacity of at least 1 FTE, though we prefer at least 3 FTE.
- Meet a cash match of between $7,000 and $9,000. This amount will vary depending on the number of sites who join.
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and retaining the member.
- Maintain full compliance with federal polices (training and support will be provided to supervisors on these matters).
If you have any interest in hosting an AmeriCorps VISTA member at your organization or questions about the process, please reach out. I’m happy to answer all questions and talk through project ideas. More information on our program can be found here:http://www.mercycorpsnw.org/community/vista/.