CITIZEN REVIEW COMMITTEE 2020 RECRUITMENT
The Portland City Auditor’s Independent Police Review (IPR) is responsible for the civilian oversight of the Portland Police Bureau (Police Bureau). The Citizen Review Committee (CRC) is an advisory body to IPR and the Police Bureau. CRC members are appointed by Portland City Council to serve three-year terms. Candidates must be Portland, Oregon residents or business owners as well as be impartial and objective in regard to law enforcement. Application here.
CITIZEN REVIEW COMMITTEE MEMBER RESPONSIBILITIES
• Hold public meetings to hear community and Police Bureau member appeals of police misconduct investigations;
• Listen to community concerns regarding police conduct;
• Participate in trainings and activities to increase cultural awareness and responsiveness;
• Engage in training and other activities to learn about policing;
• Review Police Bureau policies and procedures;
• Advise IPR on complaint handling processes;
• Interact with elected officials; and
• Periodically serve on the Police Review Board, an advisory body to the Chief of Police that makes recommendations as to findings and propose officer discipline of sworn members.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
• Demonstrate ability to be impartial and objective;
• Possess sound communication and listening skills;
• Lead and function well in a group;
• Maintain high standards of confidentiality;
• Act as an appeal body member and become familiar with the relevant City Code and protocols in conducting appeal hearings and other duties; and
• Be willing to make a substantial time commitment—including trainings, monthly evening meetings, workgroup meetings, and independent review of complaint files.
Every effort is made to select qualified persons who represent the demographic and ethnic diversity of Portland. Applications are evaluated and scored by a selection committee and the most qualified applicants are asked to appear for an interview. Selected applicants are asked to submit to a background check (each applicant is reviewed individually and results of a background check do not necessarily preclude service on CRC), and are then submitted by the City Auditor for City Council appointment to a three-year term.