Job Announcement | Specialist (Tribal Coordinator)


This position is located in the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), West Coast Region (WCR) with one vacancy in Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Sacramento, CA; Boise, ID; or Location Negotiable After Selection, US.. The negotiable location will be at an NMFS office within the states of Oregon, Washington, California, or Idaho. This position will not be fully remote and the incumbent will be expected to report to and work from an NMFS office within the listed areas.


As a Program Management Specialist (Tribal Coordinator), you will perform the following duties:
• Serve as the West Coast Region’s (WCR) point of contact for tribes on tribal matters; facilitate conversations between tribes and program staff as needed. Ensure tribes receive advance notification of NOAA Fisheries initiatives, decisions, and regulations that may affect tribal trust resources.
• Serve as the region’s technical expert on tribal history, treaties, sovereignty, self-governance, protocols, customs and traditions, and natural and cultural resources for WCR staff. Advise WCR staff, supervisors, managers, and leadership on tribal trust responsibilities.
• Provide training to increase awareness and understanding of tribal norms, customs, best business practices, and federal obligations for WCR staff, supervisors, managers, and regional leadership. Maintain the Tribal Relations websites and provide tribal consultation guidance and resources to WCR staff.
• Work to establish and maintain strong cross-cultural relationships with tribal councils, chairpersons, officials, and technical staff to help the agency accomplish its conservation and stewardship mission.
• Participate in formal tribal government-to-government meetings, and consensus building between NOAA and tribal entities.
• Represent NOAA to external parties and coordinate external messaging between and among NOAA staff and leadership; maintain relationships with Tribal Liaisons/Coordinators in other federal agencies; maintain a regional database of current tribal council representatives and department chairs; and participate in cross-divisional teams, as appropriate. Help


Conditions of Employment

  • Must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply.
  • Required to pass a background investigation and fingerprint check.
  • Must be suitable for Federal employment.
  • Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (
  • Time-in-grade/band must be met by closing date of announcement.


Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards.  This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management’s website located at:

EDUCATION: There is no positive education requirement for this position.

SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service.  Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.  This experience need not have been in the federal government.

Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.  You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.

To qualify at the ZA-3 or GS-11 level:

SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZA-2 or GS-09 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:

  • Assisting with facilitating and maintaining working relationships between tribal entities and program staff; and
  • Advising on tribal trust responsibilities.


SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, or LL.M., if related.


COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A combination of related graduate level education and specialized experience.

NOTE: Only graduate education in excess of two years is qualifying for combination.


College Transcript:  If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution is equivalent to U.S. education standards with your resume.  You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process. If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.

How to Apply

Your complete application, including required documents, must be received by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.

To apply online, you must complete and submit an application by accessing the USAJOBS website at To begin, click the Apply Online button near the bottom of this screen and follow the prompts to register into your USAJOBS account, answer the questions, and submit all required documents.

To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account at and click on “Application Status.” Click on the position title, and then select Apply Online to continue.

If you have problems completing your online application, including problems submitting your supporting documents, please contact the Help Desk by e-mail at or by phone at (866) 656-6831. The help desk is available Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. ET